About 7 years ago I realized that my computer was sitting on my lap for 4-6hrs a day. I could feel the heat digging into my legs, and it was hot! This was also around that time when mac batteries were exploding. It never happened to me, but it could have.
In a scramble to find something to keep my legs from catching on fire I found a board in my house that fit just right! The board went missing almost immediately so I had to find a good replacement, and that is when I realized that cutting boards are perfect!
All the ways they help
- Sitting on the couch, bed, counter, grass or just about anywhere you might not want to place your expensive work tool 🙂
- Stickers! Lots and lots of sticker!
- Holding your phone, I like to put velcro on the back of my phone case and then I know my phone will stay where I want it too.
- Small spills on a table will never make it past the wall of the cutting board!
- Fanning your dog when they are hot.
Coffee is great, that is if you’re a coffee drinker. I am a coffee drinker and will probably be one until my doctor tells me to stop. Why talk about coffee? Because 90% of people I’ve spoke with, who drink coffee, don’t have any boundaries for it and they inevitably find themselves an oatmeal stupor. ps, I actually do these things 🙂
1) No more than 2 cups per/day! 12oz preferred, 16oz max
What? Yes, that’s right only 2 per/day. “But I drink 4 cups a day”, you’re crazy and your body is pissed at you even if your brain says otherwise. You might need more sleep.
2) A cup of coffee can not be sipped from for more than 1hr
That’s right, you can not nurse a cup of coffee from 7am to 10am only to realize you still haven’t eaten breakfast. Your hangry coffee induced email rate will go down 50%.
3) Have one cup in the morning and one in the afternoon
You have to space it out or you’ll never make it. Don’t drink both cups before 9am, you’ll never make it. Plus now you’ll feel like you’ve earned your afternoon coffee and a mini break.
There are a million edge cases and this isn’t about that one-off coffee. This is about that perfect day at work turning in to a spiraling mess because you’ve consumed your entire stock of espresso. What are edge cases? Kids, puppies, ill-timed 11am meetings, no sleep nights because of stupid pieces of chicken.
I have this thought at least 20 times a day.
Slow, micro movements are the way to go on this one. It’s going to take you 30min no matter how fast you try to move.
It’s better if you figure out all the tiny movements it will take to complete one larger movement. Rinse and repeat. It’s basic, consistent and reliable.
- Time tracking & time entry
- Creating tasks for the simple items and giving them actual due dates
- Writing a log entry for each commit
- Creating a new password and not recycling!
In short, the idea of micro movements is a method of thinking that help stop the cutting of corners.
My random pic from April 2016. View on Flick »
Hello world, lets get this started! I’m really excited to work on the grind of posts. There are a handful of easy items work related that I’d love to talk about so here we go. I hope you enjoy!